Friday, November 6, 2009

Caramelized

I spent two hours today, watching onion rings melt into a bubbling cauldron of butter till they became sticky and brown and quite unlike themselves. My first attempt at making caramelized onions was undeniably successful. At the end of two hours of watchful stirring, I had a pot full of brown, translucent onion strands to pull out while still burning hot, admire against the kitchen light and eat with my fingers like spaghetti. Hopefully, some of them will last the night and through to tomorrow morning, to accompany the pastry crust I have chilling in the freezer right now. But I have my doubts.

3 comments:

  1. I do now know you, but your words and thoughts have a quality which has captivated me.

    I cant quite explain it but my day (which was turning out to be quite dreary) suddenly turned around when I stumbled on your blog.

    I have heard it said that the best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer someone else up. If that is true you really have something to cheer up about today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anon, thank you, thank you ever so much. I'm ever so glad my blog could brighten your day. Your comment has certainly brightened mine :)

    ReplyDelete